Skip to main content

To the nice kid who stole my phone from my car,

What exactly was the point?

I'm all by myself at home now, and I don't know where my family is, and all you have is a useless bit of electronics that can't be used for anything, because the people at Telstra have disabled it from functioning in any way (other than perhaps throwing it at a dog that chases after you as you jump fences in suburbia, trying the handles of other parked cars. )

So, we both lose. My insurance company whom I pay regularly won't replace my phone, because they have a clause in the policy that specifically excludes claims against mobile phones stolen from cars - by people like you. You ransacked my car ashtray (because nobody uses them for cigarettes anymore) ,and stole 10 bucks in change, and then you took my phone. Fair enough with the ten bucks -you could probably buy something nice from the tuck shop - but the phone? It's useless to you, and it makes my life extra hard.

So, in an effort to protect myself from you and your skanky friends next time, I've installed a special theft-detterent in my car ashtray:





Yeah. That'll learn ya.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter at Blackhead

Camping out on the headland, miles from anywhere. Big swell, off-shore winds, clear crisp nights and smoke from the wood fire. Sometimes it's so rewarding to get out from under the pressure of your life and just be a family of humans.

How to rename an XML Node in C#

This was driving me crazy - here's an easy cut and paste solution to not being able to use the DOM to rename a node for lazy developers like me: public static XmlNode RenameNode (XmlNode node, string namespaceURI,string qualifiedName) { if (node.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Element) { XmlElement oldElement = (XmlElement) node; XmlElement newElement = node.OwnerDocument.CreateElement(qualifiedName, namespaceURI); while (oldElement.HasAttributes) { newElement.SetAttributeNode(oldElement.RemoveAttributeNode(oldElement.Attributes[0])); } while (oldElement.HasChildNodes) { newElement.AppendChild(oldElement.FirstChild); } if (oldElement.ParentNode != null) { oldElement.ParentNode.ReplaceChild(newElement, oldElement); } return newElement; } else { return null; } ...

Democracy in Action...

I have to vote in the US Senate Election Tomorrow. Okay, I don't have to vote, but being an Australian American, voting is something we do. Australia has compulsory voting, which I am overwhelmingly supportive of. People often assume that the point of compulsory voting is to somehow educate people about politics - to force them to have an opinion. The reality has nothing to do with voters, and everything to do with ensuring good governance - By forcing politicians to care about every voter, rather than just the ones who can be bothered to go down to the poll both and vote, it means that politicians are consequently forced to address the needs of all the citizens in the country. Under a non compulsory voting system, it's mainly the wealthy and educated who vote. I was a little shocked to find out that part of the aim of the campaign advertisements that have been confusing me for the last month on TV is not to encourage voters to vote for one candidate or another, but to discou...