Skip to main content

Explaining Teahupoo

Man, the templating system that we're building for Project Tremble is really cool. Building on some of the ideas available in Gmail - (namely returning JavaScript elements back to the DOM from XMLHTTP Requests), The solution is so clever, that we spent considerable time debating whether or not it was ground-breaking innovation or complete lunacy.

You know those feelings of disbelief- often there's a really really good reason why somebody hasn't done something yet - because it's actually retarded. Occam's Razor would say that this is usually the case.

But, after much deliberation, Big-Headed Simon (not an ironic Australian insult, but a fact - we measured developers heads one drunken Friday, and Simon's is the biggest) and I decided that we really had something here. I'm utterly blown away by the approach. When V1 of Tremble ships in July, you'll be able to see what I mean...

I love this photo of paddling out in Teahupoo, Tahiti. Apparently Napoleon always wore red on the battlefield, so none of his men could tell if he had been shot.
"Josephine, Fetch me my brown board-shorts"



Comments

  1. Anonymous4:35 pm

    Teahupoo, is fricken MEAN, that picture, the wave literally is a wall, the wall of the wave is literally a WALL!, its straight vert. E aka hele, which i know all the surfers are the best out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gordon. I have been looking to get a poster size of this picture and I was wondering if you knew where I could find it.

    I would appreciate it.

    Thanks Bud.

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gordon,

    I am looking for a poster size picture of this to put in my garage and was wondering if you knew where I could get one.

    Thanks Budd.

    N8

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easter at Blackhead

Camping out on the headland, miles from anywhere. Big swell, off-shore winds, clear crisp nights and smoke from the wood fire. Sometimes it's so rewarding to get out from under the pressure of your life and just be a family of humans.

How to rename an XML Node in C#

This was driving me crazy - here's an easy cut and paste solution to not being able to use the DOM to rename a node for lazy developers like me: public static XmlNode RenameNode (XmlNode node, string namespaceURI,string qualifiedName) { if (node.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Element) { XmlElement oldElement = (XmlElement) node; XmlElement newElement = node.OwnerDocument.CreateElement(qualifiedName, namespaceURI); while (oldElement.HasAttributes) { newElement.SetAttributeNode(oldElement.RemoveAttributeNode(oldElement.Attributes[0])); } while (oldElement.HasChildNodes) { newElement.AppendChild(oldElement.FirstChild); } if (oldElement.ParentNode != null) { oldElement.ParentNode.ReplaceChild(newElement, oldElement); } return newElement; } else { return null; } ...

Democracy in Action...

I have to vote in the US Senate Election Tomorrow. Okay, I don't have to vote, but being an Australian American, voting is something we do. Australia has compulsory voting, which I am overwhelmingly supportive of. People often assume that the point of compulsory voting is to somehow educate people about politics - to force them to have an opinion. The reality has nothing to do with voters, and everything to do with ensuring good governance - By forcing politicians to care about every voter, rather than just the ones who can be bothered to go down to the poll both and vote, it means that politicians are consequently forced to address the needs of all the citizens in the country. Under a non compulsory voting system, it's mainly the wealthy and educated who vote. I was a little shocked to find out that part of the aim of the campaign advertisements that have been confusing me for the last month on TV is not to encourage voters to vote for one candidate or another, but to discou...