Skip to main content

Oz as, mate!

G'day. It's Australia day!

Australians aren't the most patriotic of people. As a general rule, Australia Day usually means sitting around in the hot , hot sun, drinking beer and listening to triple J's hottest 100 countdown on the radio. Today for me was no exception. And, now that it's all done, and I've had a suitable amount of beer, I have to ask one question of my country:

What was that all about exactly?

That Bernard Fanning tune that came in at number 1 is boring and simple and dull, and I'm ever so sure that it's not the best song ever released last year, by any conceivable metric.
I mean, really, it sounds like a weak covers band tune:

"Okay, now we're going to play an orginal song..."
"KHE-SAN!"
"This one was written by our guitar player, Bernard..."
"Play KHE-SAN!"
Anyway, you get the point. I would rather that any of the other top ten tunes was number one. I mean, really Australia - the powderfinger emperor has no clothes...

On another, more salient and important point, Australia Day 10 years ago, saw my wife and I preparing for our wedding. We affectionately refer to it as "Bondcrete Day". When we arrived at My dad's house in Congo, he was busy applying a fixitive to the concrete floors in his new house. Ali and I spent the evening scrubbing the floor, and applying Bondcrete, armed with a skateboard, a paintbrusdh and a broom - resulting in some severe back pain the next morning. Needless to say, everything ended up going outstandingly well the next day, and we've stayed married ever since.

So, happy Bondcrete day to you all!


Comments

  1. Anonymous9:43 pm

    Bernard Fanning rocks, and you suck.
    Powderfinger rock, and you suck.
    lets see you write the songs mr smarty pants. Then you can dis them all you want.

    PPS. Australians are notoriously boring and predictable, (and raciest) I am really amazed you were even a little bit surprised. Look at their prime minister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, okay. I am with the sucking. I think you've made that clear. I still maintain that 'Wish you well' sounds like the hidden track on John Farnham's Greatest Hits.

    If only they'd play my songs on the radio, then you'd realise what a rock god I actually am...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! We're the 'raciest' people about! Does that mean we wear lots of slinky underwear in public? Please gawd, don't let our prime minister do that..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easter at Blackhead

Camping out on the headland, miles from anywhere. Big swell, off-shore winds, clear crisp nights and smoke from the wood fire. Sometimes it's so rewarding to get out from under the pressure of your life and just be a family of humans.

How to rename an XML Node in C#

This was driving me crazy - here's an easy cut and paste solution to not being able to use the DOM to rename a node for lazy developers like me: public static XmlNode RenameNode (XmlNode node, string namespaceURI,string qualifiedName) { if (node.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Element) { XmlElement oldElement = (XmlElement) node; XmlElement newElement = node.OwnerDocument.CreateElement(qualifiedName, namespaceURI); while (oldElement.HasAttributes) { newElement.SetAttributeNode(oldElement.RemoveAttributeNode(oldElement.Attributes[0])); } while (oldElement.HasChildNodes) { newElement.AppendChild(oldElement.FirstChild); } if (oldElement.ParentNode != null) { oldElement.ParentNode.ReplaceChild(newElement, oldElement); } return newElement; } else { return null; } ...

Democracy in Action...

I have to vote in the US Senate Election Tomorrow. Okay, I don't have to vote, but being an Australian American, voting is something we do. Australia has compulsory voting, which I am overwhelmingly supportive of. People often assume that the point of compulsory voting is to somehow educate people about politics - to force them to have an opinion. The reality has nothing to do with voters, and everything to do with ensuring good governance - By forcing politicians to care about every voter, rather than just the ones who can be bothered to go down to the poll both and vote, it means that politicians are consequently forced to address the needs of all the citizens in the country. Under a non compulsory voting system, it's mainly the wealthy and educated who vote. I was a little shocked to find out that part of the aim of the campaign advertisements that have been confusing me for the last month on TV is not to encourage voters to vote for one candidate or another, but to discou...