Saturday, June 25, 2005

Gord on Rails

Spent the day playing with Ruby on Rails. It's my first venture into Ruby, and the first bunch of serious programming I've done in ages. The Ruby syntax is really confusing me though. Everything's an object. No intrinsic types. Weird.

I have to say, the flexibility and innate power in the rails framework is pretty scary. I managed to get a database driven web app designed, built and connected and making AJAX style xmlhttp requests in about two hours. The scaffold feature means that you can get automatic generated templates derived from your data design, so your app just always works, even when you haven't written that bit of code yet.

Without really knowing it, I've always been a fan of the Model View Controller design pattern - it seems like a sensible approach to take.

It's cool that the pattern was invented in 1979! I was five.

No comments:

Post a Comment