Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Get thee behind me, fairy!

Man... ever have those times in your life where everything just seems to go pear-shaped? I'm in the middle of one of them right now. My Dad affectionately refers to these periods as "a visit from the Fuck-up Fairy".

First I decided to replace the carpet in my house, and paint a room, and replace a cornice, and a skirting board, all in the space of a weekend. This led to consecutive trips to the hardware store, breaking things( lots of things), cutting and bruising myself with various sharp and/or blunt instuments, torrents of profanity, my dear kids asking me heaps of very reasonable questions while I tried not to swear at them, and me generally getting really, really irritated.

The network at work has been up and down like a yo-yo - causing all my carefully laid out systems to break in bizzare and unexpected ways, and probably costing me at least two days worth of precious schedule.

Then, both family cars decided that that was about long enough to function correctly , and promptly broke down, one pissing oil all over the road, and one leaking profusely from the raditator. So, the long and short of it is that my house is utter chaos, with sawdust and plaster and furniture strewn all over the place broken cars in the driveway leaking, and me in a filthy mood most of the time.

It's funny how when you're in such a foul mood, you notice all the crappy things that happen and get really pissed off about them, but you never notice the things that go right. For instance, I drove to work today, thoroughly annoyed, and got every green light between here and work. But I didn't really notice. What I did notice, was my bag handle getting stuck on my handbrake. "!@##%$!" swears me, "That would be %!@#n right."

There are only two things in the world that matter:
1) What happens to you, and
2) how you react to it.

One of them you can control. One of them you can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment