Skip to main content

Inspiration

Apparently Einstein once said:

'The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we used to create them.'

That's way cool, if it's true. And even if not, it's still way cool :)
*

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:28 pm

    Hooray, you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:57 pm

    Ah...yes!

    Given the problems I have faced over the past 12 months....I would have to say that is very true...

    .....and I'm no Einstein ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Einstein was a firm believer in discussing his questions with others. Many of his greatest realizations came after talking his problems through with others. Listening to their questions sparked new avenues of thought in his own mind, which often led to the answers he was looking for.

    I suppose from this we learn that it is more often vital to deal with problems as a group, than alone. I think we find our answers quicker and easier when we expose our thought processes rather than keep them hidden inside where they get tangled in our our ignorances.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easter at Blackhead

Camping out on the headland, miles from anywhere. Big swell, off-shore winds, clear crisp nights and smoke from the wood fire. Sometimes it's so rewarding to get out from under the pressure of your life and just be a family of humans.

How to rename an XML Node in C#

This was driving me crazy - here's an easy cut and paste solution to not being able to use the DOM to rename a node for lazy developers like me: public static XmlNode RenameNode (XmlNode node, string namespaceURI,string qualifiedName) { if (node.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Element) { XmlElement oldElement = (XmlElement) node; XmlElement newElement = node.OwnerDocument.CreateElement(qualifiedName, namespaceURI); while (oldElement.HasAttributes) { newElement.SetAttributeNode(oldElement.RemoveAttributeNode(oldElement.Attributes[0])); } while (oldElement.HasChildNodes) { newElement.AppendChild(oldElement.FirstChild); } if (oldElement.ParentNode != null) { oldElement.ParentNode.ReplaceChild(newElement, oldElement); } return newElement; } else { return null; } ...

Democracy in Action...

I have to vote in the US Senate Election Tomorrow. Okay, I don't have to vote, but being an Australian American, voting is something we do. Australia has compulsory voting, which I am overwhelmingly supportive of. People often assume that the point of compulsory voting is to somehow educate people about politics - to force them to have an opinion. The reality has nothing to do with voters, and everything to do with ensuring good governance - By forcing politicians to care about every voter, rather than just the ones who can be bothered to go down to the poll both and vote, it means that politicians are consequently forced to address the needs of all the citizens in the country. Under a non compulsory voting system, it's mainly the wealthy and educated who vote. I was a little shocked to find out that part of the aim of the campaign advertisements that have been confusing me for the last month on TV is not to encourage voters to vote for one candidate or another, but to discou...