Sunday, June 18, 2006

Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty...

That's the song I sing as I drive around here in the US. It serves to remind me that I need to avoid driving into lanes of oncoming traffic. So far, I've survived one or two near misses...


Besides singing, there are a few other things you'll need to remember if you're going to follow standard Australian Driving Protocol:

  1. Before you put the car into reverse, you have to reach out and bang your elbow on the drivers side window, look at your seatbelt anchor, and THEN turn to look over your right shoulder.

  2. The process for indicating a turn goes as follows: Look at invisible rear view mirror, (positioned in mid-air out just out to the left of the car), turn on windscreen wipers, indicate, turn off windscreen wipers, and then make the turn.

  3. When driving a manual, attempting to shift into fourth gear can occasionally result in opening the drivers side door. This behavior is by design.

And, despite all my fears (mainly stemming from Andrew's very entertaining horror stories), obtaining a social security number took me a grand total of two days. It sure seems to make a difference if you're a US Citizen. Now I'm officially ready for all kinds of other fun things, like banks and tax returns and credit checks...

Oh , and I guess I'd better get a drivers license too... :^)

No comments:

Post a Comment