Skip to main content

Java and Open Source: All you need to read

Eric Sink explains Sun's impending decision to Open Source Java, like only Eric can...
"Now I have to figure out why I don't care.

Actually, I do care. In fact, I'm angry. Java had so much potential, and most of its opportunities are lost. Java today is like what Tiger Woods would have been if his Dad had made him live at home until he was forty...."

Somebody once said that the most important things you can give a child are roots and wings...

Read the whole story over at his blog.

Comments

  1. Gordo, I think you need to get some new heros. Eric Sink is stuck in lala land if he thinks its [java's] opportunities are lost. It is *the* enterprise development language. End of story.

    Fuzzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know java is hugely popular in the enterprise space - particularly in Europe - It's certainly not going to go away anytime soon.

    But When Eric says that it's opportunitues are lost, I assume he meant that it's too little, too late. If Java had been made open source pre .NET ,it certainly had the potential to be the One language to rule them All. (just look how much C# 'borrowed' from java...)

    As Keith Casey commented:

    "...You'd have a codebase driven by actual use instead of boards and marketing dollars... and hundreds of the smartest and sharpest would not have jumped to other languages."

    Nowadays, that simply isn't going to happen.

    I don't think that by any means Java is doomed - just that Sun's insistence on playing it so close to it's chest has hurt it.

    It's kind of like a Mac zealot saying "Yeah, well, we OWN the desktop publishing space.."

    (And as far as Heros go, Eric is more of a software writing hero for me than a technology commentary hero. You have to agree, it's a pretty well written post...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easter at Blackhead

Camping out on the headland, miles from anywhere. Big swell, off-shore winds, clear crisp nights and smoke from the wood fire. Sometimes it's so rewarding to get out from under the pressure of your life and just be a family of humans.

How to rename an XML Node in C#

This was driving me crazy - here's an easy cut and paste solution to not being able to use the DOM to rename a node for lazy developers like me: public static XmlNode RenameNode (XmlNode node, string namespaceURI,string qualifiedName) { if (node.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Element) { XmlElement oldElement = (XmlElement) node; XmlElement newElement = node.OwnerDocument.CreateElement(qualifiedName, namespaceURI); while (oldElement.HasAttributes) { newElement.SetAttributeNode(oldElement.RemoveAttributeNode(oldElement.Attributes[0])); } while (oldElement.HasChildNodes) { newElement.AppendChild(oldElement.FirstChild); } if (oldElement.ParentNode != null) { oldElement.ParentNode.ReplaceChild(newElement, oldElement); } return newElement; } else { return null; } ...

Democracy in Action...

I have to vote in the US Senate Election Tomorrow. Okay, I don't have to vote, but being an Australian American, voting is something we do. Australia has compulsory voting, which I am overwhelmingly supportive of. People often assume that the point of compulsory voting is to somehow educate people about politics - to force them to have an opinion. The reality has nothing to do with voters, and everything to do with ensuring good governance - By forcing politicians to care about every voter, rather than just the ones who can be bothered to go down to the poll both and vote, it means that politicians are consequently forced to address the needs of all the citizens in the country. Under a non compulsory voting system, it's mainly the wealthy and educated who vote. I was a little shocked to find out that part of the aim of the campaign advertisements that have been confusing me for the last month on TV is not to encourage voters to vote for one candidate or another, but to discou...