Tuesday, October 18, 2005

What is software?

I've been tasked with preparing a presentation to explain to new members of staff the way that the software development process works at TOWER Software. As part of my preparation, I thought I'd draw up a mind-map around the topic of "What Is Software?"

Software is more than just a bunch of ones and zeros banged out by computer nerds. There are a huge number of other tasks that need to be completed in order to have a successful commercial software product. Once I'd mapped out as many as I could think of, I was a bit scared by the size of it all:






I would surmise that a company that strived to achieve success in every element, would be a really successful software company.

Of course, this list is far from conclusive - any additions or obvious exclusions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment