Sunday, July 31, 2005

Slumber fallout and The Necks

Well, that's that.

I think that the most appropriate collective noun for nine-year old boys is probably a 'Holler', or maybe a 'Shriek'. (Actually, a Shriek is probably a group of nine year old girls)

After lots of Nintendo, pillow fights, far too many lollies, and a movie, Pat and his friends finally made it to bed at 12:30 AM. Sufice to say that everyone had a great time, and everybody was really well behaved, even if Mum and Dad are feeling a little haggard.

The way I managed to get them to sleep was by playing them a piece of music by The Necks. (and no, I can't stop linking to wikipedia. It's just too cool.) If you've never heard The Necks before, you should go and check them out. I once heard their music described as "The sound of the plumbing of the universe, shuddering into action". That's probably better than any description I could give. What's really impressive, is the versatility of their music. So far, I've discovered that it is best suited to:
  • lulling a 'Holler' of kids to sleep.
  • Playing Video Games
  • Weddings
  • Making Babies
  • Writing Code
  • Getting rid of headaches
  • Driving
  • Delivering Babies (All our kids were born to their music)
Alison mentioned that last point once to Lloyd, at a concert, and he told her that he has a friend who's a leading heart surgeon, who listens to them while he does surgery. If I ever have heart trouble, I want that guy.

The other thing they made me do is want to go out and buy a Hurdy Gurdy.

Come on, you know you want one.

No comments:

Post a Comment