Sunday, March 05, 2006

Transit Billboard

Having spent so long in traveling mode gets really tiring. Crazy scattered thoughts of a tired man.

I don't know how I can be so respectful of people as individuals, yet harbor such a deep-seated resentment and dissatisfaction at the money crazed, status chasing society that we've all created. It's like an ant colony- I can appreciate each individual ant for their own qualities, but I don't like the anthill.

You know what? I don't want to be successful! I don't want a Raymond Weil 'Timepiece' or a buxom blonde wife dressed in Versace. I don't want to smell like those super attractive gay men in Hugo Boss advertisements. I don't want to 'challenge everything', or 'be a tiger', or 'always come out on top'. I don't want to buy a sports car that goes faster than you are allowed to drive it. All of these status driven capital achievements are stupid and hollow, and they are just stuff designed to compensate for things that make you really happy.

Doing something you love. Sharing time with the people who make your life fun. Learning, and appreciating everyone for whoever they are. Looking at every person you meet as though you were their mother or father. Striving to make other people happier. Experiencing the world. These things are the rewards.

At the end of the day, we all just want to be happy. That's why two strangers can always relate to each other, even if they're chasing completely different goals.

The world is full of false promises.

Make sure you find what it is that makes you happy, and not some Madison Avenue CEO.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:10 pm

    But I like driving... it makes me happy.. even when I can't go fast.. it's not about people seeing me go fast... its about me doing it.. or being able to do it whenever I want..

    ReplyDelete